Sunday, May 21, 2023

My Contribution to the WRIPP (Warhol Rose Infinite Parallels Project)

Back in April, Gavin from Baseball Card Breakdown introduced us to the Warhol Rose Infinite Parallels Project, or "WRIPP" for short.
 
As you can see from that blog post, Gavin took Andy Warhol's original Pete Rose screenprint from 1985, pared it down to a basic template in baseball card size, and began creating some variations—or parallels, as we know them in the hobby.

These parallels would be special one-of-ones, completely unique, designed to be sent out to friends, fellow collectors, and fellow bloggers as part of trade packages. And the coolest part?

Gavin has encouraged all of us to create our own one-of-one parallels to add to the project! (Hence the "infinite" portion of the WRIPP acronym.)

Well that was enough for me. I downloaded the template from Gavin's blog post and soon got to work.

Here's my first contribution to the WRIPP:
 





I call it the "Victorian Wallpaper" variation. The wallpaper design behind Mr. Rose features roses. Cheesy, but effective.

As for the card back, I kept it simple.
 
 
 



I wanted to get Gavin's branding in there, so I placed the WRIPP logo he designed on the top of the card. Other than that, I just listed the name of the parallel, wrote my blog name and the "1/1" mark in red ink, and added a great quote from Mr. Rose himself at the bottom. Done.
 
 
But wait. There's more!
 
 
I created a second parallel. If you collected cards at any point during the late 1980s or early 1990s, you'll know exactly what I decided to call this one:
 
 
 


 
Yep, it's a reverse-negative version!




I'm sure something like this could have theoretically gotten by the quality control team at the WRIPP production facility, because Rose was a switch-hitter.
 
But nostalgia and printing errors aside, now that I had two parallels completed, the next question was what to do with them.
 
Well, being that these were my first two designs, I thought it would only be right if they went to Gavin himself. It wasn't long before he and I agreed on a trade. I sent Gavin the two parallels, along with a few of my other custom cards of his choice. In return, I received these beauties:
 
First, this sweet 1/1 created by Gavin himself.


 

 
It's hard to tell from the photo, but there's mixed media involved there, and the card has more than one level of texture. Pretty cool!
 
Here's the back of the card:
 
 

 
 
Got to love that "CONFIDENTIAL" stamp.
 
Also included were these six cards:
 
 
 

 

 
I'm a big fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and Gavin happened to have some "movie poster" inserts that were released as part of an MST3K card set just a few years ago. The particular movies featured on the cards above are from some of my all-time favorite episodes. (If you've never seen the show, I highly recommend it.)

But before I start quoting lines from The Pumaman or Diabolik, let's get back to the WRIPP.

I encourage all of you to go to Gavin's original post again, download the card template, and get to work on your own one-of-one parallels. You can create your designs digitally, or use any physical medium you'd like: colored pencils, crayons, markers, ink, you name it.
 
And if you do create some and send them out to your collecting buddies, be sure to share a photo.

Hope you'll join the fun!

10 comments:

  1. Very cool to see two of the best custom card creators in the Blogiverse getting together and exchanging customs. Both of you did a great job on your customs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very nice compliment, thanks Fuji! Hope you'll join the fun and create something for the project.

      Delete
  2. I need to think of what I am going to do for this project. Yours came out really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bo! Maybe one of yours can feature an old Yankee Stadium backdrop behind Pete Rose?

      Delete
  3. Thanks again for the trade.. that was a fun one! And I really appreciate the WRIPP plug, too. Love yours and hope to see more around the Cardsphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Gavin! Lots of fun. And I'm happy to plug the project here. I think we'll see more designs around the Cardsphere pretty soon.

      Delete