Sunday, July 19, 2020

No Sleep Till Custom

I'm going to guess that Fuji over at the Chronicles knew what was coming as soon as he saw the title of this post.
 

 



If the Beastie Boys were Major League baseball players, their rookie season would have fallen around 1981 or 1982. And if their opening campaign turned out well, Topps would have likely given them a Future Stars card like the 1982 version you see above.

I stayed true to the original design, using headshots of the young trio and listing them in alphabetical order. I also borrowed some spring training backgrounds from a couple of original Future Stars cards. For the fielding position, I used each member's stage name. (Although it's important to note that all three played musical instruments as well.)

As a 1980s kid growing up in lower New York, it seemed hard to avoid the Beastie Boys. Their names would come up in school, on the radio, and in the news. Early on I remember thinking they were just a novelty; three city kids trying a little too hard to be bad boys. Kind of a spoof. But they kept going, developed their talents, created a style and sound all their own, starred in some rather creative music videos, and my goodness did they ever build up a huge following and sell a lot of records. They also inspired quite a number of the next generation's musicians and performers.

If you want to continue with the baseball card theme, by the time the 1990s arrived you would have certainly found Mike D, Ad-Rock, and MCA on all-star cards and league-leader cards in addition to their base cards.

They even linked some lyrics to baseball, saying "I got more hits than Sadaharu Oh" in the song Hey Ladies.

That's a fun line, isn't it? 

It's so fun, in fact, that it inspired me to cook up another custom card.

 

 





The highlight card template is from the 1984 Topps baseball set. The song Hey Ladies wouldn't be released for another five years, and because of that the card doesn't make sense chronologically. But the opportunity was just too perfect. Three image frames, three Beastie Boys. And in the empty space, a blue text box to describe the highlight. So I went for it, and just switched the date on the front to 1989.

This was a fun mash-up, for sure. Thanks for reading, as always. 


14 comments:

  1. These are FANTASTIC! Absolutely perfect. You really need to find a way to get some of your customs printed up, I'd buy a set in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shane! That's a very nice compliment. I'm going to have to look into the printing idea. (But I'd probably send the cards as gifts instead of selling them -- I don't want to draw Topps' ire with copyright or anything.)

      Delete
  2. Awesome job on these customs! Mike D mentions he's got mad hits like he's Rod Carew in Sure Shot. Although I listened to them in the mid to late 80's... I didn't really start appreciating the group until Check Your Head. That album and Ill Communication are still my two of my all-time favorite albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! Both of those albums are getting close to the 30-year mark. Sheesh.

      Delete
  3. Great cards, especially the "future stars" card, and you're right that having them as future stars in 1982 is chronologically perfect.

    I happened to see the Beasties live the week that Licensed To Ill hit number one. I remember the amazing thing being that the audience was so diverse. Things were so divided--you have the punk/new wave crowd, the rap crowd, the metal crowd, and the pop crowd, and there wasn't much mixing. But they all came out for the Beastie Boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story, Brett! It definitely shows something about your music if you're drawing fans from different crowds. Must have been quite a performance that night.

      Delete
  4. Great job with these! I agree with Shane, would love to see some physical copies of your customs. Gavin has been doing a series on the 1991 MusiCards and it's made me wish there were more music sets available. Even a TBT-style set would be a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another request for printed versions. And a subtle suggestion for more music cards? Now you've got me thinking, Chris... ;-)

      Delete
  5. you really are good at this. Print on the right paper stock; list and reap your eBay fortune!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Julie! I have a lot of fun working on these types of cards, and it's great to know that folks are enjoying the results. But it's the copyright issue that gets me (see first comment/reply above). Maybe I'll work out a contract with Topps. How are you with business negotiations?

      Delete
    2. Hmm...it took a while for Topps to bring UD down so you prob have a window of opportunity to reap untold fortune but act now! As far as negotiations, I've not been asked to fill the position of Secretary of State.

      Delete
    3. Untold fortune. Sounds like a lot. If you assist me with negotiations, what's your percentage of said fortune?

      Delete
  6. Those are spot on! Even the back with the great fonts. Looks like it was printed that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice compliment, thank you GCA! I try to be as accurate as possible with these custom cards, right down to the fonts. Glad these two cards passed inspection ;-)

      Delete