Sunday, April 23, 2023

1986 Topps Tattoos are Pop Art

Recently I came across a 1986 offering from Topps that I was not aware of back then:
 
Topps Tattoos.
 
 


Topps Tattoos?
 
Yes. Topps Tattoos. Turns out they were sold in wax packs, with one continuous folded sheet of 18 tattoos inside. (Plus a stick of gum.) After some additional research, it turns out Topps also released a tattoo product in 1960, 1964, and 1971.
 
If I'd seen these on shelves at the local stationery store or drug store when I was a kid back in 1986, I'm sure I would have asked my mom if I could have a pack or two. All these years later, I'm happy to have the panels pictured above in my collection.
 
I'm not going to apply any of the tattoos anywhere on my person, but here are the instructions anyway, straight from a wax wrapper:
 
 


 
Let's have another look at the panel of tattoos above and talk about the design, though, because I do appreciate it.
 
Does it remind you of any works from the pop art era? Roy Lichtenstein's brightly colored comic book–style works come to mind. As does Andy Warhol's work. The Campbell's soup cans. Marylin Monroe. Pete Rose. 

 


And so I thought it would be fun to do a little pop-art tribute using a couple of the baseball players on my sheet of tattoos. But which ones?
 
Pete Rose had already been featured in some actual pop art, so he was out. Scott McGregor had the Magnum P.I. mustache and Cecil Cooper was sporting the '80s dad beard—both solid options. But I had to go with Mookie Wilson as my first choice because he's the happiest baseball player of the group.
 
Just look at him smiling in all those primary and secondary colors and tell me you're not happy now, too. 
 
 
  
 
For the second choice I went with Bruce Bochte, because what better way to capture the 1980s than to feature that pair of eyeglasses four separate times?


 
It was a fun time to be a young baseball fan. Fun players. Fun products. And this was a fun little project.

Do any of you collectors remember Topps Tattoos? Do you have any in your collection? Share in the comment section, and thanks for reading, as always!
 

6 comments:

  1. Back in 2013, I picked up a wax box of these and opened it up. I've given some of these panels away over the years. I'm pretty sure I have a complete set laying around somewhere. At the very minimum I have the Tony Gwynn and Rickey Henderson panel laying around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, an entire wax box? Pretty cool, Fuji! Even cooler is that after looking those two guys up on TCDB, I see they're on the same panel, right next to each other. It's like they made that panel just for you.

      Delete
  2. Poor Sammy Khalifa still gets no love lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any consolation, he probably has the coolest baseball cap of all the players on that panel.

      Delete
  3. I've seen these a few times on the blogs over the years, but still haven't seen any in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same boat until recently, Jon!

      Delete