Sunday, April 2, 2023

Sadaharu Oh Stained Glass Card: PRINTED

Another fun announcement from Nine Pockets Headquarters: 
 
 

 
The Sadaharu Oh stained glass card is now available in print form!
 
I actually started out trying to print and assemble a version of this card at home using acetate paper, heavy card stock for a border, an x-acto knife, special craft glue, and everything. However, the process took a lot of work, and assembly was tricky to say the least.

The end result was okay, but not perfect by any means. And I didn't feel very good about putting something out there that looked a little bit too "homemade", if you get my drift.

So, I looked around for print companies, found one that offered some good options for plastic/acetate products, and went for it. The cost hit my wallet noticeably more than my other custom cards, but whenever I hold a copy up to a bright blue sky and look at the result (see photo above), I can say the cost was completely worth it.

Normally at this point I'd show an image of the card back, but like any clear plastic or acetate card, it's just the reverse of what's on the front. So here's a second image of the front, showing Sadaharu Oh relaxing in front of a small houseplant in my home office.
 



As you've probably noticed, these cards do not have the same dimensions as a standard baseball card. Although they are the normal 3.5 inches tall, they're only 1.75 inches wide. I'm not sure if a company like Ultra-Pro or BCW makes a card holder or page for that specific size, but there's always the semi-rigid/top loader option. Or you can hang it in one of your windows and let the sunlight shine through it and into your card room.

Sean from Getting Back Into Baseball Cards . . . In Japan, because your post that featured the original Sadaharu Oh card inspired me to create the stained glass version, I'd love to send a copy to you. If you'd like one, please contact me with your mailing address. I don't mind sending the card all the way to Japan.

And as I've done with many of the other special custom cards I've printed out in the past, I'm going to mail a copy of this stained glass card to the first three readers to provide their own answer to this question:
 
If you could choose four baseball players to be your "patron saints"—immortalized in stained glass in your temple of baseball—who would they be?
 
If you're one of the first three commenters and I don't already have your mailing address, here's how to reach me:
 
My email address is available on my blogger profile page

You can also message me on TCDB.
 

Because I've only ordered a small amount of these cards so far, the rest will go to my eBay store. The price will be a little higher than most of the other custom cards due to the printing expense.

Even if you missed out on claiming one of these cards, I hope you'll still add your four patron saints of baseball in the comment section. I'm interested in your answers. 
 
Maybe we can even make this a blog bat-around.
 
Thanks very much for reading!

29 comments:

  1. Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Cy Young, and Ted Williams. I was decisive on that last one with Christy, but those people shaped the game we love today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a Mt. Rushmore of players, TwinKiller!

      Delete
  2. That looks fantastic! You made the right call with the high-quality acetate, and it will pay off in the long run.

    I'd say my four 'patron saints" are Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, and Cal Ripken.

    p.s. If I win, please send this card to Fuji. I know he would appreciate such a fantastic custom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris... that is so generous and kind of you buddy. I actually just bought three, but I totally appreciate the thought.

      Delete
    2. No problem! Good to know you're getting them one way or another :)

      Delete
    3. Very kind of you for sure, Chris! But don't fight it. You're a winner. Going to send a copy of the card out to you soon ;-)

      Delete
    4. Forgot to mention I received my Oh card. Thank you very much, it's a gem!

      Delete
    5. Excellent! Glad to hear it, Chris. Thanks for the update.

      Delete
  3. Top 4 patron saints for me: Barry Larkin, Jackie Robinson, Johnny Bench, and Chris Sabo. Some of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry Larkin? That's a surprise ;-)

      You're winner #3, so please send me your mailing address and I'll get a copy of the stained glass card out to you.

      Delete
    2. LOL. Email sent! Maybe Sabo was a surprise at least to some people!

      Delete
    3. lol yes, Sabo might surprise some. Those rec specs might look cool in stained glass, though.

      Delete
  4. This card is awesome! Just picked up a few. One for myself, another for my dad, and another for a friend. As for the patron saints... I'd go with Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson, Ichiro Suzuki, and Greg Maddux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Fuji! Just sent your cards out. As for your patron saints, that's a heck of an outfield ;-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Crocodile! Glad you like the way it turned out.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely wonderful! Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, and Jackie Robinson. These four have a lasting impression on MLB baseball that will be forever. Josh Gibson would be a honorable mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, John! Just sent your cards out. As for your choices, you've got four terrifying bats there. Yeesh!

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful way to adapt the menko style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Jason! I really like the way it turned out.

      Delete
  8. That is a really amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it, Derek! I had fun working on it.

      Delete
  9. Card looks great!

    My stained glass "saints" of baseball? Hmmm. George Brett and Tom Seaver, clearly. Willie Mays gets a spot, too. But then the fourth spot. Aaron? Hoyt? No, I think I want another Mets legend. Piazza? Gooden? I think if Jacob deGrom had re-signed with the team I'd be saying him. Edgardo Alfonzo is a big favorite of mine but he's not that big a star and there's not that much to collect of him, but, hey, I think I'll put him up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fonzie was a fan favorite and had some very solid seasons in New York, that's for sure. I wouldn't have been disappointed if you'd chosen Piazza or Gooden, either. Or Strawberry for that matter.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, cool! The card looks really great. And thanks, yeah I'd love to have one, I'll send you an email!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the way it turned out, Sean! Please do send me an email with your mailing address.

      Delete
  11. Now that you've found someone who can print this sort of thing, I would have to think that your options as far as future creations go is pretty much endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think so, Jon. But this particular company managed to make a print error on my order not once, but twice. (And it was the same error both times!) After a long back-and-forth with them that included numerous emails and detailed images explaining the nature of the error, they finally got it right the third time. It's left me rather gun-shy to place another order. There are other print companies out there, though. I'll have to do some research.

      Delete