Sunday, November 13, 2022

Completed Set: 1984 Topps Baseball

 
The 1984 Topps baseball set is a special one for me. It's the first set of cards I remember collecting. The first wax packs I opened. The first sticks of gum I chewed. Here's a related memory:
 

Back in 1984, my dad was living in Manhattan while my sister and I lived on Long Island with our mom. Every other Friday evening, dad would drive out to the island in a maroon Honda Civic hatchback to pick up his two kids for a weekend in the big city. The trip back to Manhattan took about an hour (without traffic), and during those rides, my sister and I would excitedly share events from the previous two weeks with dad: schoolwork, teachers, friends, Little League games, softball games.

And for the year of 1984 in particular, there was even more to look forward to on those rides: 

A small brown paper bag tucked between the seats of the car, filled with packs of Topps baseball cards. 

After we caught up with dad, my sister and I would divide the packs evenly and start opening them. We were still too young to have a favorite player or an allegiance to one New York team over the other, but we both loved baseball. I remember that whenever we found a hometown player in those packs we’d call out “Mets!” or “Yankees!”, and dad would ask us which player we got. What a great time.

 
And to this day, whenever I see the bright blue "Mets" or dark purple "Yankees" text running down the left-hand side of a 1984 Topps card, I think of those car rides.
 
Fortunately, even without the personal nostalgia, the set design is quite memorable. Along with the instantly recognizable font choice for the team name, there's also the picture-in-picture effect and plenty of good-looking photos.
 
Let's go through some of them together.
 
 

You've got your share of classic "sunny day at the ballpark" poses. Combine that with some powder blue uniforms and sweet team logos and fonts, and you've got a happy 1980s card collector.
 
 
 

There are plenty of batting stance poses as well. Here, Ozzie Smith and Lloyd Moseby show off the all-star card design, while Gibby is looking like a stud in the batting cage.
 
But there are also many intriguing shots in the '84 Topps set—cards that come together to really enhance the anticipation and potential excitement that is the story of baseball. Check out this progression:

 

 
The pitcher looks in for the signs...
 
 
 

 The batter takes his stance...

 
 

The fielders prepare themselves...




Here's the wind-up...
 



And the pitch...



 
It's a hit!
 
And that's the essence of baseball, isn't it? It's definitely what you'd want to capture on at least some of the cards in your set, and 1984 Topps did well here.




They also did well to get some catchers into the action.
 
 


Stars of the era got some good action shots, too.




As did the rookies.


Let's look at some of the subsets now.
 


On the left you'll see an example of a league leaders card, which was standard Topps procedure. (Tim Raines had 90 stolen bases in 1983, while Rickey swiped 108. Who else misses those days?) Topps also created a card for each team's batting and pitching leaders, as shown on the right. Nolan Ryan is almost smiling there, which is quite a departure from the typical stare-down you see on his cards.
 


 
Interestingly, Topps also added an "Active Career Leaders" subset. It's a great little snapshot into the star power of the era, don't you think? I like how the career totals up to that point are listed right on the front, too.




Next up, we've got a manager card, along with two different highlight card designs. The card in the middle documents Henderson stealing 100+ bases for the third time in his young career. On the right, Topps paid tribute to three legends who'd retired at the end of the previous season.
 
 
Here's an example of a card back:



The color combination works very well. I have no problem reading that dark text against the light background. In addition, there's a nice big red number at the top left, an equally big player name at top center, and then an even bigger team logo top right. Well done all around.


Next up is an example of a checklist card from the set:




And finally, here are a couple of sweepstakes cards, inserted one per wax pack.
 
 

 
And that's 1984 Topps. 
 
Personal nostalgia aside, I think the design and photography are very solid. Some of the card colors do match up with the team colors a bit better than others, but overall it's bright, attractive, and kid friendly. And while some of the photos are a bit grainy, blurry, or faded, most are certainly nice and crisp. That doesn't sound like much of a compliment, but for the era, it was a pretty good showing.
 
I've actually completed this set for a second time recently, and it's just as special as the first set.

What are your thoughts on 1984 Topps? Favorite cards?
 
Share in the comment section, and thanks for reading!

18 comments:

  1. One of my favorite sets. As a kid I remember having these all around the house and some of the first packs I ever opened. My mom used to get rolled up printing sheets from a toy store ($1, who'd a think??) and I'd sit and cut them up while watching the Red Sox on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, quite a story! Thanks for sharing it here. If you managed to save a couple of those uncut sheets, let me know. Might be fun to add one to my collection ;-)

      Delete
  2. It's so cool that you have good memories with this particular set. I completed it last week (or the week before) and no major memories of opening up these packs stood out. I do remember buying packs of this and Donruss from Long's and the local pharmacy and enjoying this set as a kid though. You did a great job with the set write up.

    Favorites? I like the Yount pointing photo... and Lansford crouching. Reggie swinging is always a treat (he has a lot of great looking cards). And Carter without his mask chasing down the popup is awesome. I also really like Steve Carlton's base card in this set.

    What year was your dad's Civic? I owned a maroon (with a blue fender) 1983 Honda Civic hatchback in the 90's. The previous owner trashed it... but it had a very reliable engine that got me from point A to point B. I totally forgot about that car until I read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, you had a maroon Honda Civic hatchback too? Very cool! I'll have to ask my dad about the year of his. I know he didn't buy it new in 1983, but after looking at some online images and going by my memory of what it looked like, I'd have to guess it was pretty close to that year's model.

      Thanks for listing some of your favorite 1984 cards. Carlton's base card is nice, indeed.

      Delete
  3. A classic design. If the traded set had a Kirby card in it like Fleers did I would be chomping at the bit to find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kirby plus a powder blue uniform plus the 1984 Topps design would have been a pretty sharp combination.

      Delete
  4. I always feel like I should like '84 Topps more than I do, but I just can't get past how similar it is to '83. There are some great cards in this set though - forgot how cool that Yount is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1983 design: Round photo inset. 1984 design: Square photo inset. Totally different!!

      Jokes aside, I understand what you mean, Nick. And I agree on that Yount card.

      Delete
  5. I've said 1984 is highly underrated. It's one of my favorite Topps sets of the '80s (only '83 and '88 top it, maybe 1980 depending on the day). I think it separates itself from 1983 because of the comic-book panel look to the cards. It's also super-colorful, which fits in with the time very well.

    The only thing I don't like about it is those active leaders cards. There are 18 of those things! Talk about filler.

    Your memories of the set are cool, just like my memories of '75, '76 and '77 Topps. 1984 is the first set I bought all at once, at the start of the year. I didn't have a chance to collect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh. There really are a lot of those active leaders cards. But I appreciate the different path Topps went with them.

      Thanks for sharing those personal accounts you have with the set. Glad to know others have similar feelings toward it!

      Delete
  6. I've always like the 1984 set. They are both a bit more time, and I liked the look of '84 a little more than that of '83. The big team letters give it more of a "fun" look. I liked how you assembled the post to make an action sequence, that was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the compliment, Bo! It's definitely a kid-friendly set. Fun and colorful.

      Delete
  7. Having ever only owned a couple of cards from it, I don't really have a connection to the set. And as Bo already mentioned, that sequence of a play section was pretty darn awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Jon! I think Topps made a bit more of an effort to capture baseball action in this set compared with some previous years.

      Delete
  8. I'll third that "you did action sequence well". Fun read. This was the first set I bought completed and it still sits in the closet, never touched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad so many people are enjoying that sequence! Also glad to know you've got a nice memory attached to the set. Thanks for sharing that bit of info!

      Delete
  9. Gary Carter, Fisk, and Nolan Ryan stand out to me as stars with cool action shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good selections there, Elliptical Man. Fisk has so much good cardboard, and his 1984 Topps card is certainly an example.

      Delete