Sunday, October 23, 2022

Have You Tried Turning This Custom Card Off and On Again?

Today's custom card features some rookie stars from the IT department at Reynholm Industries.
  


 
The reference is probably more obscure than any other I've made in the history of custom cards on this blog, but the British sitcom in question, called The IT Crowd, has been a favorite of mine since I was introduced to it a few years ago.

The four characters on the card make up the IT department at a fictional mega-corporation named Reynholm Industries, and each episode of the show plays on the experiences many of us have had with the world of technology and tech support, regardless of which side of the help line we've been on.

The IT Crowd lasted only four seasons, but the episodes are hilarious, relatable, and very quotable. When the idea came to do a 4-player rookie card featuring the four main characters, I had to go with it. The 1974 baseball design worked very well, as it allowed plenty of space across the top for the corporation's name.

If you'd like a brief background of the characters, Roy and Moss are the tech-savvy members of the team—Roy being rather lazy and Moss being the introverted, awkward tech genius. Jen was hired as head of the IT department despite having zero experience. And Richmond is the most peculiar character, once a right-hand man to the big boss, but banished to the IT department server room after he began listening to goth music and making changes to his appearance.

Some funny scenes will help:
 



And here's one scene featuring Richmond:
 


I'm happy to have captured Roy, Moss, Jen, and Richmond on a custom card. If you enjoyed those clips, I hope you'll check out some full episodes.

Any fans of The IT Crowd out there? Favorite episode? Favorite personal tech support story?

Share in the comment section, and thanks for reading, as always!

12 comments:

  1. Never seen the show... but that's still a great looking custom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Fuji! If you like a good comedy, I recommend trying an episode or two.

      Delete
  2. I came across this show on Netflix once. I watched an episode or two. It didn't stick. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! If you do, I might recommend an episode from either season 1 or season 2. They feel more entertaining and novel to me.

      Delete
  3. Great card! Love the show. Difficult to pick a favorite, but the introduction of Matt Berry as Douglas Reynholm was just epic. Never has a character had a bigger entrance in a show.

    Two quick IT stories...both when working for a local private school...we had recently installed the first wireless network there (802.11, no flippin' a, b, g or n, just glorious 2Mbps). We explained to the faculty how their laptops didn't have to be plugged into the network anymore as they were now wireless. A few days later, a teacher calls me to her room because her laptop keeps dying. So I plugged in the power supply and she looked at me, surprised, and said, "But I thought we were wireless, now!"

    The other was just brain fart territory. I got called to one of the computer labs because, again, a teacher's laptop was dying, even when it was plugged into the power strip. Except the power strip was plugged into itself. I'd been to the same lab previously and had to explain that the power cable always needed to be plugged into the computer AND the wall. No more did I ever just ask if the computer was plugged in, always was it plugged in at BOTH ENDS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First thing I have to say is, "FATHERRRRR!"

      Next thing: Thanks for sharing those IT stories. Too funny, heheh. I've got to give a lot of credit to you and anyone in IT for keeping a calm demeanor (and a straight face) when experiencing those kinds of situations.

      Delete
  4. Been looking for a new show, and keep passing by this one on Netflix. Maybe time to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite only watching the first season (so far), my job in IT pretty much guaranteed I know pretty much all the good quotable lines! As far as funny IT stories go, one of my favorites was the guy who sprayed WD-40 into his desktop fans and then wondered why his computer sounded like a jet engine when he powered it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh. Haven't heard that one! I'm going to guess that you have quite a few other gems from your IT experience.

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with the show in the least. Being a British show, I thought you might be going with an old soccer design. It might be worth trying if you ever got around to making individual character cards.

    ReplyDelete