Sunday, October 30, 2022

200th post

I've reached a nice milestone here at Nine Pockets:

200 blog posts!

Because I add content here once a week, every Sunday, 200 posts means I've been at this for almost four years now. I'm very happy that I've been able to come up with enough content to fill that many Sundays, and I hope you've enjoyed doing the reading as much as I've enjoyed doing the writing.
 
Because this is a trading card blog, let's tie in some cards. Here is a sports-related milestone involving the number 200, along with cardboard representation.
 
200 Points in an NHL Season
 
1. Wayne Gretzky   215   1985-86
2. Wayne Gretzky   212   1981-82
3. Wayne Gretzky   208   1984-85
4. Wayne Gretzky   205   1983-84
  
 
 
That's it.

Yet another indication of how Wayne Gretzky was simply on a different planet in the 1980s.
 
Now it's true that Mario Lemieux had 199 points for the 1988-89 season, which is as close as you can get without hitting the mark, so let's add the next few players on the list.
 
 5.  Mario Lemieux    199   1988-89
 6.  Wayne Gretzky   196   1982-83
 7.  Wayne Gretzky   183   1986-87
 8.  Mario Lemieux    168   1987-88
 8.  Wayne Gretzky   168   1988-89
10. Wayne Gretzky   164   1980-81




Again. Gretzky. Different planet. Lemieux was right up there as well, of course. In fact, let's keep going down the list.
 
11. Wayne Gretzky   163   1990-91
12. Mario Lemieux    161   1995-96
13. Mario Lemieux    160   1992-93
14. Steve Yzerman  155   1988-89
15. Phil Esposito      152   1970-71 
 
That's right. Steve Yzerman is the first person on the list not named Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. At 14th place. That's just absurd.
 

Let's touch on baseball, too. I was thinking 200-hit seasons would be a good one; however, there are too many players and seasons to list. So instead I'll list the 10 players with the most 200-hit seasons in their careers.

Most 200-Hit Seasons, Career

Ichiro Suzuki (10)
Pete Rose (10)
Ty Cobb (9)
Derek Jeter (8)
Lou Gehrig (8)
Paul Warner (8)
Willie Keeler (8)
Wade Boggs (7)
Charlie Gehringer (7)
Rogers Hornsby (7)
 
I don't have trading cards of quite a few of those players, but here's Rose, Ichiro, and Jeter courtesy of the internet.
 
 
 
 
I'd probably take any one of those guys on my all-time starting nine. (Although maybe someone else at shortstop, like Honus Wagner or Ozzie Smith.)
 
Regardless, that's a lot of Hall of Fame talent. And you're all hall of fame readers and commenters, as far as I'm concerned.
 
Thank you all for spending some time here and commenting over these past four years. We've got quite a community, and I'm grateful to be a small part of it. Happy collecting ahead!

23 comments:

  1. Congrats on 200 posts! The '80s was defense-optional, but man was Gretzky unreal back then! IMO, this is more evidence that he was far more dominant at his sport than anyone except maybe Babe Ruth. Love seeing those O-Pee-Chee cards from the Great One's glory days.

    Here's to 200+ more Nine Pockets posts! Gretzky scored 200+ 4x, so... you've got to keep this up for 12 more years lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh. Twelve more years? That's a big ask, but I'll give it a try. Thanks very much, Chris. Great to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. Happy 200th post! Ichiro's 10 years of 200 hit seasons is crazy. Here's another 200 sports stat: Jerry Rice is the only NFL player to ever score 200 touchdowns (208). Emmitt Smith is #2 with 175.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more: Richard Petty has 200 NASCAR wins.

      Delete
    2. Ah, good one, Fuji! Maybe I'll have to look for a Richard Petty card for my collection.

      Delete
  3. Yay for 200! Congrats, not many blogs make it that far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, NG! Trying to keep up with blog superstars like you.

      Delete
  4. Your commitment to weekly posting is impressive! That's a good way to do it. Congrats on 200!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Gavin! Going to try to keep it up.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see a couple of relatively modern players on the 200-hit list. We probably won't see too many new entries on that list any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Bo. I'm always hopeful that the hitting philosophy pendulum will start swinging in the other direction one of these seasons, and we'll start seeing more base hits, opposite field singles, hit-and-run plays, and things like that.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Crocodile! You're catching up to me pretty quickly ;-)

      Delete
  7. Happy 200. ... I can't stress enough to the youngsters how dominating Gretzky and Jordan were in the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Night Owl! I actually just started watching "The Last Dance" on Netflix. Looking forward to a lot of vintage footage of MJ doing his thing.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Matt! You must be about 5,000 posts ahead of me, hahah.

      Delete
  9. Happy 200th, Greg! I'm a bit envious of your ability to consistently create quality content. Thinking back, I can't recall a single stinker amongst those 200. I noticed the other day that I'm approaching 700 on my oldest blog, and I can say without hesitation that I haven't done anywhere near 200 good posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the compliment, Jon! It's high praise coming from a veteran all-star blogger like yourself. Also, I'm calling complete nonsense on your "200 good posts out of 700" estimation ;-)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on joining the exclusive 200 Club :) The Gretzky list is impressive.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Great idea for the 200th post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Jason, and welcome! Going to check out your blogs now.

      Delete