Sunday, March 8, 2020

1992 Fleer Baseball: A Redesign

Tim Hulett tries to escape the green borders

The 1992 Fleer baseball card design raises a few immediate questions, doesn't it?

More than anything, it's those green borders. (Why green?) Folks will also point to the odd color gradient that runs from top to bottom. Then there's a small horizontal first name stacked on top of a big last name that's rotated 90 degrees. And that leads to a reduced amount of space for the player image.

What's interesting is that over the years it seems like many collectors have softened on the designmyself included. Back then I didn't like it at all. I was in my early adolescence and losing interest in collecting, so this set didn't exactly help rekindle anything. Fast-forward two or three decades, though, and I think '92 Fleer fits quite well in its time.

And to be fair, there are some attractive elements. I like how some of the players overlap the green border, producing a 3D effect. (See Mr. Hulett's left foot up there.) And some of the images are well done and show good baseball action.

However, I think it can be better. That's where this redesign post comes in.

It's the green color that I wanted to change most, so I tested out a bunch of different options and ended up with a few that were feasible. After a bit more pondering and narrowing down, I found two colors that I thought were real hits: A blue-gray (let's call it "slate"), and a more standard dark gray (let's call it "charcoal"). Then I applied those colors to some of my favorite cards in the set. I'll show those here.

Let's start with the first redesign: Slate.

Have a look at Bob Geren, Orel Hershiser, and Ryne Sandberg in their original greens:



They're really not terrible, right? In fact, seeing the cards side-by-side like this makes me appreciate the big letters for the last names a bit more. I like how they stand out. 

But now have a look at the redesign:



Spiffy.

Let's do the same with three more cards, this time showing how Fleer used different colors for the player names, depending on the team.



Again, not so bad. But the redesign:



The slate color seems a bit more sophisticated. Or maybe modern is the right word. I don't know.


Let's move to the second color choice: Charcoal.

Here are three more cards from the set that I like, shown with the original green borders:



One thing I notice is how the red text really stands out against the green background. (As do most colors. Maybe that contributed to Fleer's decision.)

Now here they are in charcoal:



The image on that Bill Sampen card really jumps out to me now. 

Here are three more, showing some different text colors again:




And here's the redesign:




I find it interesting that on the redesign some colors are difficult to read at just the right spot of the gradient. For example, look at the second "E" in Henderson, or the "Y" in Griffey. They're just the right shade to blend into the background, or fool the eye. That sort of thing doesn't seem to happen as much on the original green borders, even with Rickey's green-on-green. Maybe that's another reason Fleer chose that color. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this exercise. Along with re-tooling the original design, it was fun to simply go back and flip through the cards in this set. And after putting forth the redesign effort, it does seem like there was some method to Fleer's madness back then.

So what do you think? Original greens? Slate? Charcoal? 

Leave a comment below.

22 comments:

  1. Whoa! Like you I've softened on the set a bit over the years, however I have to say I like both of your revised options even better than the original color scheme. Awesome post!

    I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do others, but it would be fun to see this as a series looking at modifications to other infamous designs of the '80s and '90s. Imagine if 1991 Fleer were something other than vibrant yellow?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shoebox! Making this into a series would be fun, and 1991 Fleer was the same exact set I thought about trying next. However, the next comment mentions that someone's already redesigned that one.

      Doesn't mean I can't also give it a go, but I'm sure there are other sets from that era asking for a redesign, too.

      Delete
  2. There's a former blogger who is active on Twitter that redesigned 1991 Fleer a few years ago, changing the border colors to match the team, and it looks fantastic. I think '92 Fleer revised would look even better if the border colors matched the team.

    An aside: 2020 Topps is just an updated version of 1992 Fleer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on the same page there, because I did consider matching the border colors to each team. However, I thought that might make the cards look too much like the Score sets from the late-80s and early '90s, so I decided against it.

      Delete
  3. Fleer did a blue version of this design for their Citgo/7-Eleven set that looks kind of similar to the slate https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Checklist.cfm/sid/17767

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Citgo and 7-Eleven version? Cool!

      The color blue they used reminds me a little bit of 1987 Fleer, but not quite as light.

      Delete
  4. Charcoal and slate are both huge improvements. If I could only pick on, I guess I'd go with charcoal. The idea of changing the border colors to match the team colors sounds really cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! Maybe I'll tinker with this redesign a little more.

      Delete
  5. I'd go with slate! Sandberg AND Yount? Are you toying with me? Nicely done. Where can I get a set? I am happy to know I'm not alone in my reconsideration of 92 Fleer. I began collecting in 93. The friend who hooked me had stacks of these all over the house, in nearly every room. One of the most disorganized people I've ever known but I digress. I thought these were ugly as sin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, are Sandberg and Yount two of your favorites from the '80s? (Makes note to self.)

      I'm trying to picture stacks of 1992 Fleer in every room of someone's house. Yeesh. That sight may have turned some people away from collecting...

      Delete
  6. I collected that set back in the day and always liked it. It seemed like a huge improvement over the 1991 yellow set.

    But I do wish Fleer had been more like Score. Score had vibrant color schemes back then too, but they always had about four or five different color schemes that they would use on cards in a given set rather than just one like Fleer.

    So the 92 Fleer set would have been better if they had used your charcoal and slate colors in addition to green for some cards (and maybe also some red, orange or even yellow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! In comparison to the strikingly yellow set from the previous year, this 1992 set is a bit of an improvement.

      I wonder if Fleer considered using multiple colors for their borders back then, but didn't want to end up looking too much like Score's cards of the time.

      Delete
  7. I did an Aroldis Chapman custom, using both the original mint green and a team-color red border. A bunch of Chapman customs.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of customs! Cheeky "Law Breaker" variation of the 1985 Topps Record Breaker design.

      Delete
  8. I'm one of those oddballs that have always liked this design, but you slate and charcoal alterations do make the photos stand out! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! This was a fun project, and I might revisit or expand on the cards down the road.

      Delete
  9. Your redesigns look awesome! The blue slate is nice but I am really digging the charcoal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! I kind of lean toward the charcoal, too.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, PK! I think I like the charcoal a little more, as well. I might even expand on them. Stay tuned.

      Delete