Sunday, September 15, 2019

Completed Set: 1986 Topps Baseball

Ah, 1986 Topps Baseball.

It's the set that doesn't garner much attention from collectors, because almost all of the rookie star power appears in the 1986 Topps Traded set. (Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, Jose Canseco, Will Clark, Andres Galarraga, Bo Jackson, Wally Joyner, Kevin Mitchell, wow.)

For many collectors, this leaves poor Cecil Fielder pretty much all by himself as the rookie draw in the standard set. 




I'd also give honorable mentions to Ozzie Guillen (#254), Teddy Higuera (#347), Vince Coleman (#370), Mariano Duncan (#602), and Harold Reynolds (#769).

Regardless, it's really a shame that the set is overlooked, because the photography, although not spectacular, is a bit underrated.

Same goes for the design itself. Look at Cecil Fielder's card again. 

The thick color-matched team name placed on top of the even thicker black color bar really does catch the eye. Combine that with the remaining white border and you get a card design that works very well for just about any team, as you'll see in many of the images here.

In addition, the first few cards in the set commemorate one of the all-time achievements in baseball history: Pete Rose's career hit record. 




There's a nice little write-up on the back of each card, documenting some of Rose's highlights from each year featured on the front.



And there's even one more positive attribute of 1986 Topps:

Because it's often overlooked (and undervalued), it's quite easy to assemble the entire set of 792 cards. You can find numerous collectors who'd be happy to give you a tall stack of them. And if you want the "original experience", wax packs are still available and affordable. You can buy a few, open them, and add some cards to your set that way. 1986 fun at near-1986 prices!

Now that we've got some good energy going, let's flip through a bunch of the grade-A cards in the set:

You still have your share of classic posed shots, of course.



And headshots.



Some of the game-action shots are excellent.









As are some of the candid shots.





The Team Leader cards are quite attractive, too.



And the catchers? You'd be hard pressed to find six images like these in any other set of the era.





Here are some fun shots, because baseball is fun.





And finally, a peculiar shot that features John Wathan putting his morning bagel on a baseball bat for some reason. I think one day I might try eating a bagel this way. 



Here's an example of a card back. Note the Talkin' Baseball factoid that runs across the bottom (when space allows).



Want an example of a solid design effort? There are six different Talkin' Baseball cartoon guys. Along with the one above, here are the other five:



And here's the Spring Fever Baseball game piece that was inserted in each wax pack.



So you see? 1986 Topps Baseball isn't so bad. It has its detractors, and that's fine, especially when you consider what the set could have been if Topps had managed to squeeze in some of those star rookies. But it's still a good set, and I'm happy to have finally completed it.

What are your thoughts on the 1986 Topps set? Share in the comment section.

And thanks for reading.

16 comments:

  1. I got this factory-sealed set for Christmas in '86. It will always hold a special place in my heart because of that. My favorite cards are the Tony Perez and Bo Diaz cards.

    JT, The Writer's Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia and trading cards go hand in hand, don't they? Thanks for sharing that story, JT!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of 86T until a few years ago. I still wouldn't call it my favorite Topps set of the decade, but it's at least towards the middle of the pack now. One of the things I really like about it is that they look really nice signed in black Sharpie. As for favorites.. Tony Pena and Dwight Gooden are at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wasn't a big fan of '86 Topps back then. Interesting how tastes can change over the years, right?

      Delete
  3. Rookies? What are those?

    It's so funny how sets became characterized after the rookie craze. This is a set that I completed in the early days of my blog. Back when it was issued, I was in college and barely collecting. To me, it had a dark, mysterious vibe and it's interesting to me that so many collectors consider it a common, plentiful part of their childhood.

    And if this set was issued before you were born, I don't even want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! No no, I'm a child of the '80s, so I existed on this planet and had plenty of these cards as a kid. I only decided to complete the whole thing recently, though.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on set completion! I always liked the 1986 set myself. I've got about 80% of it, and will probably try to complete it in the not-too-distant future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I should have some duplicates, so once you've got a wantlist put together let me know, and hopefully I'll be able to help you out.

      Delete
  5. I knew that Bo's rookie was in the traded set, but I didn't realize that practically everybody else's was too. I've never had more than a few cards from this set, but I've liked the look of it... congrats on the completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! It was fun to finally complete the set and look through all the cards after such a long time.

      Delete
  6. This is a set I have been slowly working on the last couple years, and may prioritize for 2020 to just get it done. I like the contrasting design, but get why some may not like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe the font for the team name can throw some people off. Very bold and blocky and angular. As for completing the set, sure! Why not make it a priority? It won't put much of a dent in your budget.

      Delete
  7. Have a complete 85 set and 87 set, but skipped 86. No good reason. Hard to explain why you did what you did 30+ years ago. Like the Pete Rose commemoration cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here with '85 and '87. As for the Pete Rose commemoration, I think Topps borrowed their own idea. (They did a similar thing with the first few cards in their 1974 set to celebrate Hank Aaron's home run record.) It's a nice, quick way to get a career retrospective.

      Delete
  8. oooooh, Brummer and Hunt are missing from my 86 catcher collection! Great shots! Thank you - again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Some of the shots in the '86 set really impressed me as I was flipping through the cards and doing some research for this post.

      Delete