Sunday, May 26, 2019

From the Favorites Box: Mack Jones, 1965 Topps #241

A series where I post some thoughts about favorite cards. Previous cards in the series are available here.


I can describe why this card is one of my favorites by creating a simple conversation between Mack Jones and a Topps photographer on that sunny day at the ballpark.

Topps Photographer: Hey Mack, how about posing for a quick picture?

Mack Jones: Sure thing. [tucks baseball glove into back pocket, picks up bat and poses] How's this?

Topps Photographer: That's perfect, Mack, thanks. [focuses lens, clicks shutter]

8 comments:

  1. a lot of greatness on this card! Fantastic by design with its pennant-waving, old Indian mascot and stadium background. I can't recall the last time I saw a player tuck a mitt into a back pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Look up "baseball card" in the dictionary, and this might be the representative card you see. The glove in the back pocket just tips the scales.

      Delete
  2. Yup, a very sweet '65. My family went to a game in 1969 in Montreal's first season and the bleacher folks seemed to go wild with Jones' every move. I've got a modest and very casual Mack Jones PC these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great memory, Commish! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Nice card, I'll have to keep my eye out for cards with the glove in the back pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bo! I wonder if there are any others out there. Vintage cards might be the best bet, don't you think?

      Delete
  4. I really hope that that's how the conversation went :)

    ReplyDelete