Sunday, November 19, 2023

For a Longtime Jets Fan, This Custom Card Was 50 Years Overdue

I  think it's safe to assume that most folks who read blogs about trading cards are also sports fans to some degree. It's probably also safe to say that many of those folks have a favorite team they not only root for every year, but also collect. It's a little bit easier if that team is successful, of course. Winning games is fun. It makes collecting more fun.
 
But if your favorite team has had a long run of unsuccessful seasons, missing the playoffs by inches or miles or anything in between, then you might sympathize with a particular collector who reached out to me a few months ago, asking if I would design a specific trading card for him.

You see, he's a fan of the New York Jets football team. A longtime fan. Long enough to have young memories of "Broadway Joe" Namath leading his 1969 team to victory in Superbowl III. After that? Well, the Jets still haven't won another Super Bowl. Or even made it into the Super Bowl. In fact, they've only made the playoffs about a dozen times in all those years leading up to the current day.

And as if that weren't bad enough for a Jets fan, the 1970 Topps football set didn't even commemorate the team's Super Bowl Championship with a card. Nothing.

Well, this particular Jets fan and card collector wanted to right that wrong. So he asked me if I'd create a card in the style of the 1970 football set to document the team's big victory. After all, other football sets of the 1970s and 1980s did issue a few cards to commemorate the AFC champs, NFC champs, and Super Bowl champs.

Well, I did some research on the game, and got to work. Here's the result:





If you didn't immediately connect the year of 1970 with its football card design a few paragraphs ago, that ought to do it. Iconic, for sure. And once I found that specific photograph, I knew it was the one. You've got Emerson Boozer, Joe Namath, Pete Lammons, and Matt Snell, all battered, dirtied, and catching their breath with the offensive line as a full crowd in the background awaits the next play. It's a great team photo for a card like this one. There are no horizontal cards in the original 1970 set, so I had to create one, but the effort was well worth it.

Now here's the back:





I tried to model the design after many of the Super Bowl cards featured in Topps sets of the '70s and '80s. One half of the card features individual player stats, while the other half tells the scoring story. (Kicker Jim Turner had quite a game for the Jets.) As for the card number at top left, there are 263 cards in the 1970 Topps set, so this one became 264 in that "what if" sort of way.

Although I'm not a football fan and haven't watched a game in years, I'm happy to have helped create a card that documents such a memorable Super Bowl. I did grow up in New York, and I did grow up around a fair number of Jets fans, so I felt this collector's pain. He was overjoyed with the result when I sent him a digital proof, and even happier when he had a copy of the actual card in hand, and was able to slide it into the final page of his 1970 Topps football card binder. Since then, a few other collectors have picked up a copy, which is gratifying.

How about you readers? Does this custom card evoke any nostalgic feelings for you? Any Jets fans out there? Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading, as always!

12 comments:

  1. That's a perfect capper to the 1970 set and a card any Jets fan could appreciate. I wonder why Topps didn't make any mention of the Jets' win in their set? Could it have had something to do with the AFL/NFL merger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Chris! I'm not a football history guy, but the AFL/NFL merger could certainly have something to do with a lack of a Super Bowl card in the 1970 set.

      Delete
  2. Not a Jets fan... but I totally understand rooting for bad teams (recently... the A's, Sharks, Padres, and Packers). Great custom! That photograph is awesome!

    P.S. Even more awesome is seeing that Beastie Boys custom of yours several times a week on FB. It pops up on my feed and is receiving rave reviews. Not sure if you disclose this kind of info (I wouldn't blame you if you kept it under wraps), but I was curious how many of these you've sold so far. I feel like it's gone viral (super happy for you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Fuji! As someone who rooted for the Islanders back in the 1990s, I feel your pain, too. (The recent news of the A's moving out of Oakland is a huge gut-punch, to say the least.)

      And it looks like I've got to start signing in to FB more than once or twice a year! Thanks for filling me in on the good publicity the Beastie Boys card is getting.

      Delete
  3. Nice card! As a Giants fan, there have definitely been some down moments, including this year. But nothing even remotely like what Jets fans have to go through. I have a ton of respect for Jets fans for whom nothing ever seems to go right. (Including today!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Bo. Hopefully things come around for them sooner than later.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a Jets fan but that is another great custom card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Crocodile! I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and I hope a lot of Jets fans will be, too.

      Delete
  5. I'm starting to think that there isn't a custom that you can't make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very nice compliment, thank you Jon! This project was a fun challenge, for sure. Great way to scratch that creative itch, too.

      Delete