Sunday, February 12, 2023

PSA's First-Ever Gem Mint 11

There's some big news in the trading card world. The authentication and grading company PSA has logged its first-ever grade of Gem Mint 11. That's one higher than ever before.
 
This is even bigger news here at Nine Pockets Headquarters. 
 
Why? 
 
Because it's one of my custom cards!
 
 
 
 
 
Here's the back:

 

 
I'm not sure if any other card will ever receive an 11, but even if one does at some point in the future, I can always say that I had a copy of the first. 

 
Now as much as I'd like to say that all of this is true, it's of course not a real submission. And that's not a real slab from PSA. 
 
It's the work of artist and photographer Robbie Augspurger, who did pick up a copy of my Spinal Tap custom card and, unbeknownst to me, decided to do the most clever and brilliant thing anyone has ever done with one of my customs.
 
I discovered the project on Robbie's instagram page, and contacted him to thank him for doing such a clever thing. He replied, and let me know how much he enjoyed working on the project. Then he asked me a question: 
 
Would I be interested in a PSA Gem Mint 11 copy of my own?
 
Yes. Absolutely. Yes.
 
Turns out he had a few additional blank slabs lying around.
 
I asked if I could send him some more custom cards in return, because there was no way I was going to accept such a rockin' gift without compensation. He happily selected a few additional customs from my list, and the deal was done.
 
And here's what arrived in my mailbox recently.
 
 
 
 
I'm not a collector of slabbed and graded cards, so this automatically becomes the best one in my collection. But who are we kidding? Even if I had some slabbed cards, this would still be my favorite.
 
For those of you who haven't seen the film This is Spinal Tap and are wondering what all the hubbub is about, here's a clip that will explain the Gem Mint 11 joke.
 
 

 
It's pretty cool that I can look at a fellow collector, hold up my Spinal Tap card from PSA, and just like Nigel Tufnel, say to them, This one goes to eleven.

Will that line ever get old? No. No it won't. And neither will my slabbed and graded Spinal Tap card.
 
If art and photography are your interests, please consider stopping by Robbie's website, or following him on instagram if you're so inclined.

And now a question for you readers and collectors/investors:
 
Should I hold onto the slabbed Spinal Tap card for a while, or sell it for a couple million dollars right now? The trading card market is still hot, after all.

Leave your suggestions in the comment section, and thanks for reading as always.

14 comments:

  1. I saw the title of the post and tried to decipher what it actually meant, but no it was truly a PSA 11. Very clever on Mr. Robbie's part. Oh, and keep then sell in the future when it goes for tens of millions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you just make PSA 10 have higher requirements? Then you don't have to have 11?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! This comment is the winner. Nicely done, BCH.

      Delete
  3. This is such a cool piece for your collection, I wouldn't sell it for less than ten million.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm thinking, Fuji. Thanks for reading, and for the investment advice!

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! It wasn't even commissioned? Robbie just whipped it up on his own without being asked? And I agree, having a physical slabbed copy of your custom is so much cooler than anythign PSA can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. Robbie just whipped it up on his own. Clever guy, for sure, heheh.

      Delete
  5. That is fantastic ... Hopefully the graders won't demand a higher grade than 10 in the future (I can see i happening) and ruin the joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd better not, Night Owl! (But I can see it happening, too. "10+ Mint", or something ridiculous like that.)

      Delete
  6. It's amazing to think that we live an era where someone can make a professional looking custom card, and then someone else can come along and take said card and put it in a professional looking custom slab.

    ReplyDelete