Sunday, May 3, 2020

You Wanted the Best and You Got It: The Hottest Band in the Land. . .


KISS!




A few months ago I picked up five cards from the 1978 Donruss KISS set.

Why?

I don't know. A trade partner had some available, and lately I've been discovering just how many non-sport cards Donruss churned out, going all the way back to the 1960s. Movies, TV shows, music acts, and the like. So I thought it would be fun to add a card of each band member to my small non-sport collection.


Paul Stanley


Back when I was a teenager, a couple of friends introduced me to the music of KISS with a mix tape. After giving it a listen, I got back to them and mentioned that some of the tunes were pretty cool. 

Before I knew it, one of these friends was asking me if I'd like to see the band perform. Nassau Coliseum, New York. Floor section. Front and center. Just a few rows away from the stage. (He had an aunt who worked in the industry.)

Sure, I was in.


Peter Criss


Well, it was a pretty exciting show. Those four musicians were simply made for live performances. Lights, flames, explosions, decibels. On top of all that, a few songs into the show I caught a guitar pick thrown into the crowd by Ace Frehley, which was pretty cool. (I still have it, look.)




And so I was bitten by the KISS bug for a little while.


Ace Frehley


Some of the card backs in this set feature a puzzle-piece photo, which when put together with the rest form a larger rectangular image of the entire band (6 cards down and 9 cards across!). Other card backs contain simple yet creative write-ups. Here's the back of Ace Frehley's card.




With all the merchandising KISS has done over the decades, none of us should be surprised that the band ended up on trading cards (series 1 and series 2!).

But back in their heyday, they sure played some catchy, rockin' music. And they penned what could be the best opening line of a rock song in history:

Get up, and get your grandma outta here!


Gene Simmons


Watch Gene sing it on The Midnight Special back in 1975.





Have any of you ever been bitten by the KISS bug? If so, what's your favorite song?

18 comments:

  1. Never been bitten by the bug, but I always crank it up when they come on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Gavin! Snagging that pick was a highlight of the show, for sure.

      Delete
  3. Your KISS story sounds eerily familiar to the one that Tim shared on his blog (Cardpocalypse) a couple of weeks ago. It's almost like that's how everyone was introduced to the band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! Just searched for that blog and read the KISS post. Fun story there. I guess KISS has been in the air lately.

      Delete
  4. So a guy in the front row caught the guitar pick? Did Ace throw like a girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh. No, no. First of all, we were a few rows back from the stage. And secondly, Ace, Gene, and Paul were flicking guitar picks into the crowd all night, in every direction. The dude standing next to me got hit with one. Didn't even see it coming.

      Delete
  5. When I was a kid, I pretended to like them. I'd write KISS on my Pee-Chee folder without really knowing anything about their music. I just knew that they looked cool. By the time I actually appreciated rock, I was into Def Leppard, Foreigner, AC/DC, Rush, Metallica... and 70's bands like Boston, Black Sabbath, and Blue Oyster Cult. But after seeing these cards, I'm in the mood to watch Detroit Rock City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start the car and try to make the midnight show, Fuji.

      Delete
  6. In the mid-1970s, one of my brothers had a bunch of KISS 8-tracks. Not only did qe listen to them, but the band that he, I, and another brother were in included some Kiss in our mix. (I think Rock N Roll All Nite, Deuce, and Strutter.)

    As the 80s unfolded, the departures of Criss and Frehley, plus the removal of makeup and the generally less-interesting songs pushed Kiss off our radar.

    In 1996 they got the old band back together, and Double Platinum was a regular on my car's CD player.

    A few years ago (on one of their many "farewell tours") my son and I saw them with Def Leppard. It was my first time seeing both bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool story, Jim! That '96-97 tour was exactly when I saw them for the first time. Fortunately, I missed the less interesting, less authentic 1980s version of the band. What instrument did you play in your band?

      Delete
  7. I can't say I'm a fan of their music necessarily, but I am a big fan of live music and would have enjoyed a show I'm sure. Absolutely would have checked it out free with front and center tix. Awesome pick and great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shoebox! I'm sure you would have enjoyed the show, too. They really put forth the energy and effort to entertain.

      Delete
  8. The pick is cool! I was introduced to Kiss at the age of 12 by other middle-schoolers. I was naive and sheltered. The Bay City Rollers were my thing. KISS scared the living daylights out of me. I would've enjoy seeing them, even 15 years ago. Not so much now. Guys their age, in costume and makeup - well at least that hides wrinkles and gray hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if virtual reality goggles will one day allow us to go back to the mid-1970s and experience a KISS show as if we were there. I think you'd enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. I've never tried VR but if technology gets me a front row seat to Kiss? Whoa dude!

      Delete
    3. Right? I'd give that a try.

      Delete