Sunday, November 10, 2019

Hulkamania

This is the first wrestling card I've ever owned:


1987 O-Pee-Chee WWF #26, Hulk Hogan


It came as part of a recent trade with a collector from Canada, hence the O-Pee-Chee version.

As a child of the '80s, I did get caught up in the wrestling thing for a year or two—right around the time this card was printed. How could you not, with characters like Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, for goodness sake.

It was a weird, wacky combination of drama, intrigue, flamboyance, aggression, brute strength, and body slams. But it worked.

And because this particular card is the O-Pee-Chee version, I've got to show the back.




L'EXPLOSION DU HULKSTER!

That works, too.

I can't imagine my wrestling card collection getting much larger, but I'm happy to have the Hulkster on my side of the ring.

8 comments:

  1. For a first wrestling card, that is a great one. Looks to be in pretty good condition too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CrazieJoe! Brings back some fun memories, for sure.

      Delete
  2. I never got into wresting but a lot of my friends at the time were fans of the guys you mentioned. It's interesting to see a Hulk Hogan card from that era, especially an OPC issue. It never occurred to me that OPC would produce wresting cards. I wonder if they made any boxing/Mike Tyson cards in Canada..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPC boxing cards? Sounds like a future blog post for you! But a quick note: An internet search for "O-Pee-Chee" and "Mike Tyson" will probably yield a lot of results for Mike Tyson the baseball player, not Mike Tyson the boxer. You might have to dig a little deeper.

      Delete
  3. Awesome card. I loved watching WWF back in the mid 80's... but never saw any trading cards. If I had, I would have definitely collected them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember seeing these back then, either. But I'd bet the packs came with a stick of gum.

      Delete
  4. I had a bunch of these a long time ago. No idea where they went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a statement most of us have made at some point, isn't it?

      Delete