Sunday, August 23, 2026

400th Post

I've reached another milestone here at Nine Pockets:  

400 blog posts!  

Because I add content here each Sunday, 400 posts means this blog has been rolling along for almost eight years now. And that's a lot of content. 
 
I guess if you break it down, some of it has been nostalgia, some of it has been custom cards, some of it has been completed sets, and so on. Ultimately, it shows that trading cards have been a bigger part of my life than I thought. Back when I started this blog in 2018, I couldn't have imagined that I'd find so much to write about. 

In any case, and as usual with these milestone posts, I wanted to tie in some cards using a sports-related milestone of some kind. 

The first thing I thought about was baseball players who batted .400. However, there haven't been many of those—none from our modern time, in fact. So I next thought about a few players who nearly batted .400: Tony Gwynn (.394 in 1994), George Brett (.390 in 1980), and Rod Carew (.388 in 1977). 
 
However, we're celebrating 400 blog posts here, and 394, 390, and 388 just don't do enough of a job to mark the milestone. Thankfully, I found something soon after:
 
Players who've batted .400 across an 80-game stretch.
 
That's essentially half a season. After a little bit of research, here's what I found:
 
 

Name

At-Bats

Hits

Average

Date Range

George Brett

315

137

.435

5/30/1980–10/1/1980

Ichiro Suzuki

349

149

.427

6/30/2004–9/27/2004

Wade Boggs

332

138

.416

6/26/1985–9/22/1985

Tony Gwynn

327

133

.407

4/9/1997–7/15/1997

Larry Walker

302

123

.407

4/9/1997–7/14/1997

Rod Carew

310

126

.406

4/16/1977–7/17/1977



Man, that 1997 season was something else. Larry Walker and Tony Gwynn both took their .400 batting averages well into July. Walker finished the season at .366, while Gwynn ended up at .372.
 
It goes to show you how much harder it is to keep up that .400 pace for another 80 games.
 
Regardless, it's an impressive feat. And because this is a trading card blog, here are examples of what collectors would have been pulling from packs while the guys listed above were swinging such hot bats:
 
 
1980 Topps #450 George Brett, 2004 Bazooka Stand-Ups #18 Ichiro Suzuki, 1985 Topps #350 Wade Boggs
 
1997 Topps #410 Tony Gwynn, 1997 Topps Stars #1 Larry Walker, 1977 Topps #120 Rod Carew


I should note that the table shown above only represents a partial list. Nomar Garciaparra, Todd Helton, and John Olerud also accomplished the feat, as well as other legends like Jackie Robinson and Roberto Clemente. (The most recent player to do it appears to be Joey Votto, from June to October of 2016.)
 
And I'll leave it there. Milestone achieved.
 
Whether you've been visiting this blog from the start, reading it today for the first time, or anything in between, I'm sending my thanks. I hope you've enjoyed doing the reading as much as I've enjoyed doing the writing.
 
Here's to more great trading card and blogging milestones all around!

34 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the milestone! I have enjoyed reading your blog for a few years now. I'm not quite sure when I started. Carew is one of my favorite Twins ever. On to the next 400 and enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, RJ! Rod Carew is an all-time great, for sure.

      Delete
  2. 9P ya just 529 posts away in catching up with Ovechkin going into the 26/27 season I think ya have a better chance of catching up with Denton True Young wins total he's only 111 away or try for Marty's record for wins BTP ya stand at 291 regular season away from tying him. Congrats on 400

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh thank you, sir. I guess it's good to have specific targets to catch up to.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the milestone! I wonder if Brett had a better-looking card that year, if it would have become more iconic. Must have been a big deal to get that card in '80.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Bo! And you're right -- kids must have been pretty psyched to pull that Brett card in 1980, regardless of whether they were Royals fans or not.

      Delete
  4. Well done and keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Reaching milestone events are fun.
    I vividly remember Brett’s attempt to bat .400 during the ‘80 season. I really thought he was going to get there. He was inured for part of the season and there was briefly some concern he wouldn’t get enough at bats to qualify. It didn’t end up being an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated!
      Mr. Brett must have been the talk of the baseball world that season. I was just a little toddler, so I didn't experience that firsthand.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the 400 posts.

    DiMaggio hit .357 in 1941, when he had his 56-game hit streak.
    Rose hit .302 in 1978, when he had his 44-game hit streak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good points there, Elliptical Man. It's just more evidence that shows how difficult it really is to hit .400, right?

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! Looking forward to reading the next 400.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Fuji! I appreciate all the comments you've made here over the years.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on 400 posts! Here's to 400 more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 400 posts! Looking forward to the next 400.

    It would be fun to see another .400 chase in MLB, but players just dont care about batting average anymore 🤷‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! Things do tend to go full circle every once in a while, so maybe one day we'll have more players who hit for contact and average again. Oh, and hit-and-run plays. And stolen bases. And hard slides to break up double plays. It's a stretch, I know, but I'll stick with it.

      Delete
  10. Awesome job! Looking forward to reading another 400.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated 400th! 400 might not be a lot by some people's standards, but I continue to be impressed by how few of your posts are of the "look what I got" variety. For most card bloggers, those make-up like 60-100% of their output. Your percentage seems to be considerably lower though, like what, 10-15%? I think a lot of folks would be posting a lot less if they had to, or were trying to, compete with that percentage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that compliment, Jon! And I think your percentage is probably accurate. For me, cards are all about nostalgia, fun memories, and creativity, so I try to tie those kinds of things into my posts as often as I can. Cards and storytelling go together pretty well.

      Delete
  12. Happy 400th! I don't know how many of those I've read but definitely have enjoyed being a regular reader the past while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Derek! Always good to see your comments here.

      Delete
  13. Belated happy 400th! Here's to 400 more!

    ReplyDelete