Sunday, June 4, 2023

New Season, New Softball Team

 
 
In early March of this year there was a milestone event here at Nine Pockets Headquarters:
 
My wife and I bought a new home and moved from one part of New York to another. 

We're really enjoying it so far. However, the location is far enough away that it no longer made sense for me to play in the New York City softball league that I've played in for the past few years. So this spring I had to find a new league. And a new team.
 
I knew I'd miss all my Wolfpack teammates, but the timing actually worked out pretty well. Our team captain, his two college-age children, and his wife all played for the team, and they all moved down to Florida over the winter. A couple of other long-time players from the team will be moving out of New York shortly as well. So there wasn't much of a team to go back to anyhow.

Thankfully, there were a couple of solid-looking leagues to choose from out here in our new neighborhood. After chatting with three or four different team captains, I found a pretty good fit. This particular team was looking for an infielder—preferably a third baseman—and a hitter who can get on base so the power guys can drive him home. That fits my skill set fairly well. I soon met up with the team for a practice, and all the guys seemed pretty cool. And that was that. I had a new team.

Well, the season started the first weekend of May, and it's been good so far. I've been slotted into the bottom third of the batting order, which I respect. This team has quite a few good hitters, and lots of them have been playing together for 10 or 15 years, so there's no way I was going to find myself the lead-off or two-hole like I was with the Wolfpack. And I've been hitting decently in the bottom third, keeping it simple with some well-hit, well-placed singles. I've made my share poor swings too, and haven't been focused at times with my situational hitting, but it's early in the season. I'll sharpen up.
 
As for defense, I knew before the season started that I'd be splitting time between my natural position of third base, the somewhat familiar position of second base, and the very new-to-me position of catcher. Our middle infielders are really solid, and they seem to make diving plays or sliding plays every game. That's been motivating me to be at the top of my game when I play third and second, too. I like it.
 
Here are some similarities and some differences compared to the previous league I played in.
 

 

OLD LEAGUE

NEW LEAGUE

CHALLENGE LEVEL

Games held Sunday A.M.

Games held Sunday A.M.

Neutral

6-inning games

7-inning games

Increased

Co-ed Intermediate

Men’s Intermediate

Increased

One game each Sunday

Doubleheader each Sunday

Increased

More than 1-hour commute to fields via commuter train, subway, and walking

15-minute drive to fields

Decreased

 


Overall, the competition is definitely a bit stiffer. For example, the teams we've played so far make quick adjustments on defense. If they put the "lefty shift" on me during my first at-bat of the game and I promptly slap a single through the big hole between third and short, I notice that the very next time I come up to bat, the big hole is no longer there. That wasn't the case with a few opponents in the previous league, so it might be more difficult for me to tally those "free" singles throughout the season. We'll see.
 
As for the doubleheaders every Sunday, I'm hopeful that the extra energy I need for the second game will come from the much shorter commute, not to mention the extra sleep I can potentially get the night before. As for any other challenges, I welcome them.


So why have I gone into so much detail here on the blog?
 
Well, Nine Pockets does focus on sports and trading cards, and I know some of you really enjoy following sports, even if it's a blogger's Sunday morning softball league. I also know that documenting the softball season a little bit here on the blog will help me be more accountable and work even harder out there on the field. So there's that.
 
Once the Spring/Summer season has wrapped up, I'll post another update with some stats. If I play Fall ball, I'll do the same.
 
I hope some of you have enjoyed this post, as well as the one I did to wrap up last season
 
And if any of you readers are also softball players, here's to gettin' dirty out there.

Thanks for reading!

18 comments:

  1. I haven't played for a softball team since my work had one, which has to be about 25 years ago now. It was strictly recreational and I was very out of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same boat a few years ago when I started playing after a very long layoff. I was so rusty, it was a little embarrassing. But it's still fun to get out on the field!

      Delete
  2. I miss playing, had to give it up dur to back issues. Glad to hear you're playing. I'll have to catch up with you on TCDB to see if you're any closer to me geographically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great season. I haven't played softball in a long, long time... but when I did, it was in a pretty challenging league. Unfortunately, the team we built was very recreational... so we weren't very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Fuji! It can be tough when other teams are just blasting your team to bits. I've been there. Do you think there's a recreational league in your neighborhood now? Might be fun to start playing again.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Billy! I've got to catch up on your blog.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the move, and the new league! Looks like you are moving up a bit there.

    I'm not on a team, but have been playing a lot with my kid recently, including regular trips to our local batting center. I haven't played regularly since I was a teenager and my now 40-something body just isn't happy with these new activities in the same way the rest of me is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! It must be fun to get out there with the kid.

      Delete
  6. Good luck - have a great season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bo! It's been a good challenge so far.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the big Nine Pockets Headquarters move and have fun in the new league!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Jafronius! Having fun so far -- both in the new home and the new league.

      Delete
  8. I've seen the headlines, but it's interesting to hear that so many of your former teammates are leaving New York. I guess despite your mentioning the possibility, you and the missus weren't ready for that big of a change yet. Congratulations on the new house though! It's probably really nice to have just one place to call home now. If you get a chance, and are so inclined, could you send me your new address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Jon! Yep, still in New York for now, but in a more pleasant location. I'll send you the new mailing address now.

      Delete