Sunday, December 4, 2022

Another Softball Season in the Books


 
I've shared on the blog once or twice before that when it comes to sports, my first love was baseball. My Little League days were everything to me back then, and I studied the game pretty hard even at that young age. 
 
Something I haven't shared on the blog before is that a few years ago, I joined a softball league. It was the first organized ball I'd played since high school, and I'm still at it. In fact, our 2022 season recently finished. Here's the quick story to catch you up:
 
In the summer of 2018, I discovered that the organization I worked for had registered a softball team with a local weeknight corporate league. It was free for employees to join, and the captain was looking for some players. The league was co-ed, and was slow-pitch with an arc between 4 and 10 feet. I hardly knew anyone on the team, but after some hesitation, I found my old mitt and figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, that original love for baseball came back in a hurry. As rusty as I was, as awkward as I felt out there on the diamond that first evening, and as sore as I felt walking around the office the next day, I was still energized—so much so that when the company decided to nix the softball team the following year, I sought out a weekend league and signed up as a free agent. I was assigned to a team called the Wolfpack, and I've been playing with them ever since.

Although we didn't make the playoffs this past year, it was still a really fun time. One thing that contributes to the fun is that I've been tracking my personal stats. Because this is a trading card blog, and because stats on the back are such an integral part of the hobby, I'd like to share some of them here.

For those of you who enjoy things like stats and player development, read on. For those who don't, you can skip to the last couple of bold headings below.

Batting Stats

 

Batting

Year

Club

G

AB

R

H

2B

3B

HR

RBI

SLG

BB

SO

AVG

2018

Acorns

3

9

2

4

1

0

0

1

.556

0

0

.444

2019

Wolfpack

13

32

11

20

2

0

1

7

.781

0

0

.625

2021

Wolfpack

23

68

31

42

2

1

0

8

.676

3

0

.618

2022

Wolfpack

25

68

28

42

2

5

1

23

.838

4

0

.618

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

64

177

72

108

7

6

2

39

.751

7

0

.610

 


Now keep in mind, the top players in any slow-pitch softball league will post batting averages well over .700 and put up a lot of extra-base hits, so I've still got plenty of room for improvement. But I do like the consistent numbers. In fact, remarkably, I had the same number of at-bats and hits this year as I did last year. And I am happy that my power numbers and RBIs increased this year while keeping up the consistency and batting average. I think this was a result of a few things:

Batting Practice
It can be tough to improve when you're only getting 2 or 3 at-bats in your 6-inning game, and then don't swing a bat again until the following weekend. This past year I set aside some time for BP and worked on my swing technique.
 
Being More Selective at the Plate 
Being patient and letting bad pitches go can be difficult to do with slow-pitch softball, when so many of the pitches seem hittable. But this past year I was a little more selective, extended the count more often, and drew even one more walk than the previous year.
 
Changing My Approach at the Plate
For the past couple of years I've been a tablesetter, generally batting first or second in the lineup and just trying to get on base. At times during the 2021 season I took that role a little too seriously, and would just slap singles through the holes even when I had a pitch I could really drive. This year I started to drive the ball a little more when the opportunities presented themselves.
 
Hitting to the Opposite Field
I throw right-handed but bat left-handed. And I'd say maybe only 2 out of every 10 hitters in the league are lefties. So when I step into the batter's box, oftentimes at least one or two fielders yell out "lefty!" and everyone shifts over toward the right side of the field. Even if the shift isn't that severe, I'll often have at least some kind of hole on the left side to hit through, and I took advantage of that more this year than in years past.

Next up is fielding stats. This past year I was a mainstay at third base, but in previous years I also did a bit of pitching, as well as some fill-in work at shortstop. Here's a look at my fielding stats, by position.

 

Fielding Stats

 

Third Base

Year

Club

Pos

G

Inn

Chances

PO

Asst

Err

DP

Fld%

2019

Wolfpack

3B

4

11

7

5

1

1

1

.857

2021

Wolfpack

3B

17

92

52

27

22

3

2

.942

2022

Wolfpack

3B

24

123

83

39

39

5

3

.940

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

 

45

226

142

71

62

9

6

.937

 

 

Pitcher

Year

Club

Pos

G

Inn

Chances

PO

Asst

Err

DP

Fld%

2019

Wolfpack

P

7

37

24

7

15

2

0

.917

2021

Wolfpack

P

8

38

18

4

14

0

0

1.000

2022

Wolfpack

P

3

6

4

2

2

0

0

1.000

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

 

18

81

46

13

31

2

0

.957

 

 

Shortstop

Year

Club

Pos

G

Inn

Chances

PO

Asst

Err

DP

Fld%

2018

Acorns

SS

3

15

13

7

3

3

0

.769

2019

Wolfpack

SS

3

9

5

1

3

1

0

.800

2021

Wolfpack

SS

1

2

1

0

1

0

0

1.000

2022

Wolfpack

SS

1

3

5

1

4

0

0

1.000

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

 

8

29

24

9

11

4

0

0.833


You can see evidence of how rusty I was when I started playing back in 2018. As someone who's always taken a lot of pride in his fielding, it was frustrating to boot a few balls early on. In the first game I played back in 2018, I remember ranging to my right at shortstop to field a grounder, reaching over on the backhand to try to grab it, stumbling over my own feet as the ball tipped off the end of my glove, and tumbling to the ground as the ball rolled into left field. Good thing I had easygoing and funny co-workers. (After the play ended, our left fielder yelled out to me, "Well, at least you fell gracefully!")
 
But over the past couple of years I've recaptured some fielding skill and ability, and along with that, some confidence. Here are some things that helped out:
 
Fielding Practice 
I took fielding practice at third base whenever I could, even if it was just getting to the field early on game day and having someone hit me a few. 
 
Positional Play
This past season I started to re-learn and remember more about how and where to position myself at third depending on the batter, how many runners were on base, how many outs the opponent had, and things of that nature. Playing a little closer to the line, off the line, deeper behind the bag, or in front of the bag at the right times helped me field a lot more balls cleanly and easily. 
 
Reaction Times
My reaction times at third base have improved as well. This past year I made more diving plays than in years past, both to catch line drives and hard-hit ground balls. And I think that's what's made me feel the best, especially considering I've reached an age when even guys like Ichiro and Adrian Beltre are about ready to retire. A lot of players in our league can hit the ball deep, but not nearly as many are willing to lay out and get dirty on defense. As for my fielding percentage at third this year, it could have been even higher, but I made an error in each of the last two games of the year, bringing my total from 3 to 5. That was frustrating, but it's making me hungrier for next year. 
 
Finally, although I hardly pitched at all this year, here are my pitching numbers:

 

Pitching Record

 

Pitching

Year

Club

G

IP

W

L

T

SO

BB

GS

CGW

CGL

CGT

SV

2019

Wolfpack

7

37

1

3

2

9

2

7

1

3

2

0

2021

Wolfpack

8

38

4

2

1

12

2

7

4

2

0

0

2022

Wolfpack

3

6

0

1

0

2

0

0

0

0

0

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

18

81

5

6

3

23

4

14

5

5

2

1


 
I didn't keep track of ERA for two reasons: (1) Games usually finish with really high scores like 12-9 or 15-10, so any pitcher's ERA isn't going to look so pretty, especially when the games are only 6 innings long. (2) There are usually a few errors made each game by both teams, and to try to keep track of which baserunners would be earned runs and which would be unearned at any given time during the game would be a little too much to think about while still trying to pitch.
 
Ultimately, I'm totally fine being a third-string pitcher. This year we had an excellent pitcher for most of our games, and our second-string pitcher was good as well. I was happy to trot out to third base almost exclusively.
 
 
To Work On for Next Season
 
Pitch Recognition
My pitch recognition did improve this past season, but I still swung at a few too many pitches outside of the strike zone that resulted in weak contact and some ground-outs or pop-ups.
 
Situational Hitting
I also improved in this area in 2022, and my RBI totals show some evidence of that. But there were still times when all I needed was a simple single to drive in a run, and ended up diverting from my game plan by swinging at a bad pitch or swinging too hard and making poor contact.
 
Fielding
I did well this year and rode some great stretches of confidence, but there's definitely room for improvement. There were a few games when I wasn't feeling sharp in the field, either physically or mentally or both, and that's when errors happen. I've got to figure out a way to perform better on those days.

Overall, I'm determined to improve even more. To raise my fielding percentage even higher. To pick my batting average up higher. To become even better at placing the ball when it's called for. Better at driving the ball when I have a good opportunity to do so. And I think sharing my goals here with all of you will help me hold myself to them. I'm really looking forward to next season.
 
 
The Big Takeaway, and Some Encouragement to Share
 
When I first signed up for that corporate softball league in 2018, I was unsure of a few things. I was unsure of how much my skills might have diminished. I was unsure of whether I'd make a fool of myself. I was unsure about meeting a bunch of new people and being part of a team again. I was unsure about the time and energy I'd have to devote to it. And I'll be honest—I didn't even go to the first few games that year because of all the uncertainty and apprehension. But eventually I did go to a game, and I enjoyed it so much that here we are a few years later, and I'm still enjoying it. Looking back, as difficult as that first push seemed, I'm really glad I made it.  
 
Want to hear a bonus that came from it? 
 
After hearing me share my softball experiences every year since 2018, my dad found a senior-level softball league near his neighborhood this past year and signed up. He loved it. 
 
How much did he love it?
 
He's now got two bats, two gloves, a batting tee, and a bucket of practice softballs. That's how much.

So what about you?
 
If you played a sport when you were younger and it's been years or decades since you did, why not consider picking it up again? Even if it's just grabbing a mitt and a ball and having a catch with a buddy or family member. Grabbing a hockey stick and a roll of electrical tape from the garage and stickhandling around in your driveway. Picking up that tennis racquet and hitting a tennis ball against a wall. 
 
There's a lot of happiness to be had with sports, even at the most simplified level.
 
Get out and do it.

8 comments:

  1. That's very cool! Now you need to make up cards for your team using your custom card making skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy! And stay tuned. Things might already be in the works.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on another awesome season. You put up some serious numbers. I played LL through middle school... but got cut my sophomore year in high school. Played softball in my 20's. Tried to rally teachers to form a team about a decade ago, but there wasn't enough interest. Maybe I'll toss the idea around at lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Fuji! It was a good season, for sure. Keep us all posted on the potential softball team over there. Hopefully there will be some interest!

      Delete
  3. I love the developmental attitude. I haven't had any opportunity to play organized ball as an adult, but I will be coaching my son's Pony League team next year. Go Rangers! (I guess.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Trevor! Coaching your son's team should be a great experience (provided all the parents are civil, heheh). Wishing the team all the best.

      Delete
  4. I thought for sure that we were gonna be seeing a custom of Greg the softball player in here. Also, does your dad live far away? If not, this sounds like it would be a great opportunity to go practice, play catch, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I live about an hour and 15 minutes away from my dad, but we still practiced a couple of times this past year, and it was great. As far as the custom card thing, I'm just going to say "stay tuned".

      Delete