Sunday, September 3, 2023

A Grandpa Gets a Custom Card

Any person can consider themselves fortunate if they've grown up in the presence of their grandparents—even more so if that presence was a steady, strong, positive one. I'm grateful to have had that experience, as three of my four grandparents were around during my childhood and teenage years. I even shared a story about one of my grandfathers here on the blog a few years ago. He was truly a best friend, and I think about him often.
 
Well, a few months ago, a fellow trading card blogger named Luke (also known as Twinkiller) reached out to me with a request for a custom card. He explained that the card would feature his grandfather, who played minor league ball in the 1960s, and that he'd be giving the finished product to his grandfather as a gift. Photo on the front, stats on the back.
 
Done.
 
There was no doubt in my mind that I'd be taking on the project—even if it had to go on the back burner while I finished up some other work. Grandfathers are just too special, and I knew Luke felt the same way.

So, he sent me all the info: a card design choice, a photograph, a slight bit of backstory, and a link to his grandfather's baseball-reference page. And I got to work.

Here's the result:
 





 
 
Luke was even able to procure a facsimile signature for the card front!
 
I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and so was he—enough to ask me for a bunch of copies that he could give out to other family members!

And really, what a cool tribute. I've designed nearly 100 custom cards over the past few years, and some of them are pretty special to me. However, I'll say honestly that this one ranks right at the top because of the significance it has for the Swanson family. I'm both happy and honored to have been a part of such a meaningful project.

Thank you for getting in touch and asking me to work on this with you, Luke. It's truly a great tribute to your grandfather. Here's to the man!

16 comments:

  1. That is so cool. Now I am going to have to do some research, although I doubt I'll come up with much if anything. If I do, I will be reaching out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. Nice work and backstory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Gavin! It was a fun project, for sure.

      Delete
  3. Looks really great, just like it came from a pack in 1967!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can only imagine how thrilled he must've been to see this. It'd be interesting to know if he ever met Mickey Mantle. Great work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, Jon. I wonder if Twinkiller knows.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Night Owl! We found two cartoons that really worked for his grandfather's story.

      Delete
  6. This is very cool! Might have to keep you in mind for your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely one of the best you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Jafronius! Thanks for reading, as always.

      Delete