Sunday, July 28, 2024

Baseball Bats

Quick: What brand of bat does Kirby Puckett use?
 
 
1993 Topps #200, Kirby Puckett

 
No doubt you noticed that he's a Louisville Slugger guy. And even though we're talking about a novelty bat here, you can't blame Puck and the Louisville Slugger folks for making sure the trademark shows front and center. Nice piece of marketing.

A card like this made me think about other bat brands that were around back when I was a baseball-loving kid. It also made me start a list in my mind of which players from that era were known for using a certain brand of bat. And then naturally, as a baseball card collector, I wondered if the trademarks ever appeared clearly on trading cards. After all, lots of players hold a bat for their photo, either resting it on their shoulder or posing in a batting stance. Making sure the trademark is showing would be a nice gesture toward the company that's sponsoring you and sending you all those free bats.

So once I finished compiling that list of bat brands—and players who seemed synonymous with the brandI did some baseball card research. Here's what I came up with.
 


1992 Upper Deck All-Star FanFest #13 Wade Boggs, 1992 Topps #620 George Brett, 1992 Barry Colla #1 Tony Gwynn

Back in the '80s and '90s, Louisville Slugger was the big man on campus. Lots of hitters preferred Louisville lumber, including the trio above, who were some of the hittingest hitters who ever did hit. I'm pretty sure my first Little League bat was an aluminum Louisville Slugger, too. They were just everywhere.
 
 
 
 
1985 Topps #500 Mike Schmidt, 1987 Donruss Highlights #54 Mark McGwire, 1988 Pacific Cards & Comics #5 Darryl Strawberry
 
Many folks might think of baseball gloves when they think of the Rawlings company, but some pretty iconic bats also bore the Rawlings name. Some of the biggest power hitters of the era used the "Adirondack Big Stick" model, including the three bashers above. (Reggie Jackson, too!)
 
The paint ring that Rawlings added toward the top of the bat handle was usually color-matched to the player's team as well. That's a nice touch. (Also, "Adirondack Big Stick" is a great name for a bat, don't you think?)
 
 
 
 
1989 Upper Deck #364 Cecil Fielder, 1988 Leaf #114 Tim Raines, 1990 Upper Deck #356 Andres Galarraga
 
Some players believed Cooper's bats, cut from Canadian trees, were made from harder wood, potentially generating more power. You can usually spot these bats on baseball cards by the little blue-red-yellow stripe around the handle. Not surprisingly, it seems like the Cooper company had more influence on Expos and Blue Jays players of the day, like Fielder, Raines, and Galarraga up there.
 
 
 
 
1992 Stadium Club #810 Andre Dawson, 1992 Barry Colla #1 Frank Thomas, 1990 Mother's Cookies #3 Jose Canseco
 
Worth bats also seemed popular with some big hitters of the era. That double-stripe around the handle will help you identify the brand on baseball cards. Jose Canseco is hiding the stripes over there to the right, but he gives us a good look at the "WORTH" wordmark on the sweet spot.
 
 



2005 Bowman #95 Ichiro Suzuki, 1991 Showcase Baseball Card Price Guide Inserts #2 Rickey Henderson,
1985 Renata Galasso
NNO Pete Rose

And finally, we've got Mizuno. Years before Ichiro gave the Japanese sporting goods manufacturer loads of publicity here in the USA, lacing hits all over the field and setting records with his trademark Mizuno bats, a couple of other legends of the game were giving them a go. Rickey used Mizuno bats in the early '90s (those neon green batting gloves were Mizuno, as well), and Pete Rose was a Mizuno guy during his second stint with the Reds in the mid-1980s. Want to know how many MLB hits those three guys have between them? 
 
10,400.
 
How's that for a ringing endorsement?
 
 
And I think that covers the major bat brands that were around in the '80s and '90s. If I've missed any, feel free to share in the comment section. Also feel free to answer the following question:
 
What brand of bat did the favorite player(s) of your childhood use?
 

20 comments:

  1. 9P to quote Henry Aaron "I came up here to hit not to read." & I'm surprised in your bat pictures you didn't include the 5 classic bat cards the 52 Gus Zernial giving the Otay sign, the infamous 1993 Pinnacle tribute to George Brett on his Pine Tar bat only as well his 84 Fleer card with Gaylord Perry supposed doctoring a bat & finally the Upper Deck father & son combo of Jay Buhner w/his boy gnawing on a bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all good-looking cards, P75! However, the trademark/logo of the bat brand isn't quite visible enough on any of them, so they don't apply well to the theme of this blog post.

      Delete
  2. 4 other famous as well the Stadium Club of Tony Gwynn sitting down in from a huge Louisville Slugger the 1991 Score Wade Boggs flaming hot bat the 1992 Fleer Frank Thomas mechanical bat & 1994 Topps Jose Canseco whittling his wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More good choices! You should create a post featuring all these cards that have interesting baseball bat content. (The Jay Buhner one is my favorite of all your suggestions.)

      Delete
  3. I remember that Puckett photo very well; it appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated's baseball preview. I didn't pay too much attention to what brand of bats the players used back then, but I'd for sure notice if it wasn't Louisville Slugger or Rawlings (Mizuno definitely jumped out at me) Also if it was a dark color bat, I wondered if it was even legal lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Chris, when I was a kid I remember being skeptical of the bats certain players used, too. Aside from the color, do you remember the whole "corked bat" phase back then? Seems like there were at least a few accusations every year.

      Delete
    2. Kind of, yeah. Especially after Albert Belle and Sammy Sosa.

      Delete
  4. I didn't keep track of what bat brand players used back when I was a kid. But I remember Brett wore Spot-Bilt cleats (because I wanted one of those cards). I also remember my favorite bat was an Easton aluminum bat from my Little League days. Wish I would have kept that bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, cleats. That might be a subject of another post, Fuji. You can take that one and run with it. (No pun intended.) As for Easton aluminums, I definitely remember those. Easton was big in the hockey stick game back then, too.

      Delete
  5. Not anything that really crossed my mind. Looking through cards it appears that Ron Cey used a mix of Louisville Slugger and Rawlings Adirondack bats. ... The Adirondack bat company, which Rawlings bought in the mid-1970s, is located in Dolgeville, N.Y., about an hour-and-a-half drive from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty cool, Night Owl! Have you ever visited the factory? (Assuming they give tours of some kind.)

      Delete
  6. Like most of the commenters, I never paid attention to this sort of thing when I was a kid. I knew a few kids who did though, and they would then have to use a particular glove or whatever just because some well known player was using it. Me, I just liked whatever fit/worked. In that regard, I haven't really changed all that much in the last 30-35 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. According to many of these comments, it looks like I'm in the minority, Jon! For whatever reason, I definitely took notice of bat brands when I was a baseball-loving kid. Same thing for hockey sticks when I started getting into hockey. (I sure tried a lot of different hockey stick brands during my playing days...)

      Delete
  7. I always thought it was odd when a player wasn't using a Louisville Slugger. I was a bit disappointed by the Puckett photo because he also used a black/silver LS that I think would have looked really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Louisville Slugger made him a black/silver version, too :-D

      Delete
  8. Bats as bait...lol!! You have my attention! Such a good-looking Boggs card! MY Darren Daulton may have used more than one brand but I do believe L'ville Slugger was among them. Nice post. I'm still cracked but never attempted such research...nor had the thought to do so. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Julie! I'm thinking you should start a cracked bat collection...

      Delete