Sunday, August 6, 2023

New Custom Card Set: 1980s Film Trios

It's summertime.
 
School is out, blockbuster movies are in. And during the 1980s, the decade of my childhood, there sure were some absolute classics, starring some legendary actors. 
 
Well, at some point this past year my nostalgia for these films began to mix with my creative itch to design. I started thinking about the best way to capture some of these folksand some of the films they starred in—on custom cards. As I was going over a big list in my mind, I discovered that there were quite a few films that specifically featured a trio of big actors, all sharing the starring roles to some degree. Those film trios, as you might be thinking already, make a perfect match with a three-player rookie card. (And there are plenty of card designs to choose from there.) So with a little more thought and analysis, I narrowed down the pool to six great options, and one great card design. 

Here's a look at all six cards in the set.

 
 

(1) I thought for sure that The Karate Kid would have hit the #1 weekly rank at the box office at some point during its theater run in 1984. However, it only made it as high as #3. If you're wondering how that's possible, just look at this list of other films that were in theaters that year: Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, GremlinsBeverly Hills Cop, and The Terminator. That's a heck of a lot of star power to contend with. But that year of big films aside, The Karate Kid did have the highest total box office gross of the 6 cards featured in this set. Crane kick for the win.
 
 
 

(2) Trading Places finished as high as #2 in the weekly film rankings for 1983, outdone only by Return of the Jedi. Akroyd, Curtis, and Murphy were all fantastic in this film, as were most of the other characters. If you haven't seen this one yet, I highly recommend adding it to your watch list.
 
 
 

(3) This was the first card I thought about when getting ideas together for the set. Talk about legendary trios. Ferris, Cameron, and Sloane are hard to beat. I'm surprised the film didn't earn a little more at the box office in 1986, but all the thrills and depth from James Cameron's Aliens, Oliver Stone's Platoon, and Stand by Me—an adaptation of a Stephen King novella—probably stole some of Bueller's comedy thunder that year. Still, this 6-card set just wouldn't be a set without Bueller and company.
 
 
 
 
(4) For a card set that features great film trios of the 1980s, Ned, Dusty, and Lucky were a natural fit. This is the one movie in the set that was released for the Christmas season instead of the summer. Must have been an absolute hoot to see this in theaters back then.
 
 
 
 
(5) Weird Science isn't one of my all-time favorite films from the '80s, but it's a total classic, featuring huge 1980s starlet Kelly LeBrock, plus Anthony Michael Hall, who was on an incredible run of films like National Lampoon's Vacation, Sixteen Candles, and The Breakfast Club.
 
 
 

(6) To round out the 6-card set, we've got a trio starring in what I consider a vastly underrated film of the decade. Before his more serious roles in films like Top Gun, The Doors, Tombstone, and The Saint, Mr. Kilmer showed off his comedy chops in Real Genius, and even earlier than that, in another wacky film called Top Secret! Just as with Trading Places, I highly recommend you add this film to your watch list if you've never seen it. Or even if you have.
 
And there's your 6-card set.
 
As for the card design, although it's from the 1970s (1972 to be specific), which doesn't match up with the 1980s release dates of the films in this set, I think it does feel perfect for film cards. That font running across the top of each card is called "Broadway". And the whole look on the card front resembles a movie theater marquee, or even a movie poster that you'd see outside the main entrance of a theater. So I think it works just fine. The different colors from the original 1972 set really help this special 6-card set stand out, too.

For the backs, I wanted to capture the unique look of each movie title, as well as add some "back-of-the-card" stats of some type. I went with Release Date, Running Time, Box Office Gross, No. of Theaters, and High Weekly Rank. They help tell the story of each film, while simultaneously helping to fill out the space toward the bottom of each card.
 
I will also say that I thought about representing some other film trios of the '80s. For example, there's Rocky, Adrian, and Mick from the Rocky films. And then there's Indiana Jones, Short Round, and Willie Scott from Temple of Doom. But trading cards already exist for those films, and in both of those cases the entire franchise wouldn't have been represented. I didn't want to have the name on the front of a card be something like "Rocky III" or "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". It just seemed incomplete. So I stuck with a 6-card total.

So now it's time for you to share something in the comment section. Do you have a favorite film of the bunch? Have you seen all six of them? Is there another 1980s film trio that you would have liked to see included in the set?

Let me know, and thanks for reading!

26 comments:

  1. Ferris wins it.
    I like the stats. (Did not think of Karate Kid as over two hours long.)
    Romancing the Stone with Douglas, Turner, and DeVito would have been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Elliptical Man, I don't remember The Karate Kid being that long of a film. Good call on Romancing the Stone.

      Delete
  2. Three Amigos and The Karate Kid are great!!! I love Christmas Vacation so I would do Chevy, Randy and Beverly lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Somehow I thought Christmas Vacation was a '90s movie, but I see that it was actually released in December of 1989, so it just barely makes the cut.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, I need that Ferris one. The only ones of these I've seen were Bueller and Three Amigos (which I do remember seeing in a theater). For teenage appeal, as I was a teenager then, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a must. Others popular with my age group then would be Back to the Future, WarGames, Risky Business, The Breakfast Club (hard to narrow it to 3), and the previously mentioned Beverly Hills Cop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend adding those other '80s films in the set to your watch list, Night Owl. I think you might like Real Genius, especially. As for those other film choices, they're all very good. But you're right -- it's hard to narrow some of them down to three characters. (Stay tuned for a five-player Breakfast Club card, however.)

      Delete
  4. Great job on these! If you wanted, might be fun to pair these up with "In Action" customs sticking with the '72 Topps design. I'm thinking stuff like Daniel doing the crane kick, or Ferris jumping over hedges, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gavin! Fun idea for the In Action cards, too. The Crane Kick would definitely be the iconic scene to choose from Karate Kid. And I'm sure there are some great scenes in each of those movies to choose from.

      Delete
  5. Love the Three Amigos card!

    I would love to see Matthew Broderick get a second card for Ladyhawke, along with Rutger Hauer, and Michelle Pfeiffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angus! I've never seen Ladyhawke. Three big acting names there. Might have to add it to my watchlist.

      Delete
  6. Again awesome job with these. Though the broadway font does work, I'd think the 1980 or 1982 future stars templates would have done nicely too. Nevertheless your choices for these films (which I have seen them all) is great. There are many good movies to pick from it would be hard to narrow it down so you may as well produce a second and third series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Crocodile! I thought about the 1980 Future Stars design, but one of the problems is that there's just no room for the movie titles in that little banner. And I've already used the 1982 design a lot. As for a second and third series, based on the comments here, it seems like there's probably enough content to do it, hahah.

      Delete
  7. Well, the most obvious missing trio of film stars from the 80s is the Ghostbusters, but there are plenty of cards of that film so I can't blame you for not doing one.

    Maybe Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, and Andre The Giant in The Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there are Ghostbusters cards already out there, and I also wouldn't want to feature just three of the characters from the original film. As for The Princess Bride, stay tuned for a four-player card of that one...

      Delete
  8. I like the decision to go with the 72T and their movie marquee design. I definitely saw the first five films in the set... but not sure I watched Real Genius. It's a close call between The Karate Kid, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Trading Spaces in regards to favorite film of the bunch. I feel like I could rank these four and come back tomorrow and it would change. But my favorite card would be The Karate Kid. Love me some Mr. Miyagi!

    As for other movies... I like Matt's idea to create a Christmas Vacation card... and Night Owl's Fast Times at Ridgemont High (any excuse to create a new Phoebe Cates card is a good excuse) and The Breakfast Club picks. Hard to narrow things down to three characters... but The Goonies and The Empire Strikes Back would be cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Fuji! Definitely add Real Genius to your watch list. You'll enjoy it. Fast Times and Goonies are good choices, but like you mentioned, it just wouldn't be fair to choose three characters and leave the other ones out.

      Delete
  9. Those are great! I love the 3 Amigos one in particular! Some obvious movies were already mentioned in the comments, but I'll add The Goonies, Airplane!, Spaceballs, and Caddyshack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt! Great to see so much love for the Three Amigos card. Good suggestions for additional cards too, but that same dilemma comes up: How to choose just three characters when there are so many other memorable characters in each film?

      Delete
    2. True, although you could go outside the box for the Goonies and do the three Fratelli villains!

      Delete
    3. Hah! That would make quite a card, Matt.

      Delete
  10. Another set of amazing customs! Not much else to say that hasn't already been mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  11. From what I've been able to gather over the years, Real Genius seems to have flown under a lot of people's radars. I don't know how that was possible, what with it being a major release and all, but it did. I used to rent it quite a bit as a kid. It's one of those films that's just fun; the kind they don't make anymore. I had quite a crush Michelle's character too. And speaking of crushes, I had an even bigger one on Sloane Peterson :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Jon! And when I say "agreed", I mean about Real Genius and also Sloane Peterson ;-)

      Delete
  12. Great stuff! I too was curious about the use of the 1972 design, but it makes sense. I also like that you stayed away from the huge huge movies, and although my preference would be for Ferris, I enjoy all the hat space for Three Amigos. Besides the ones mentioned, Gremlins would work (Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates, and Gizmo!), maybe The Naked Gun, Predator, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jafronius! Gizmo on a card would be fun, for sure, but I think there's a set of Gremlins cards out there already. The Naked Gun is a good idea, too. The first film in that series was released in 1988, so it would qualify.

      Delete